Step 3: How to Use Your Site
WordPress needs to be installed on your website. If you haven’t completed the WordPress installation yet, please go back to Step 2 where you learn about the installation process.
After WordPress has been installed, it is time to start customizing your website. As you go through this part of the tutorial, I will show you the basic steps that can be used to get you started with your brand new WordPress website. When you move onto step #4, you will learn about advanced changes that can be used to personalize the structure and design of your website.
Login to Your Website
To get started, you need to login to your website. In your browser, type in http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin which will give you access to the login screen (make sure to replace “yoursite.com” with your exact domain name). If you don’t remember your username or password, then you can refer to the email that you received from BlueHost when you installed WordPress.
Changing the Name of Your Site
After you login to your website, you will be in the administrator area for WordPress. This control panel is where you can make changes to your site. If you didn’t name the site during the installation process, then then is the perfect opportunity to get it done. Go to the left menu find “Settings” near the bottom of the column. You will be taken to this screen:
Make the adjustments to change your “Site Title” as well as the “Tagline” which is the subtitle for your website. You can choose anything you want for these boxes. Don’t forget to scroll to the bottom where you can click the “Save Changes” button.
The changes will immediately go live on your site after you hit the save button. You can see the updates by typing your domain name into your internet browser and hit enter. Each time a change is made in the admin panel, you will need to refresh the domain name if you want to see the updated changes.
Building a Homepage
The first step to building your site is to create a homepage. This is the first page visitors will see, so it is the most important. The homepage can be the location where you share special deals or featured products. The homepage is also a great location to showcase your most popular articles.
At this point, don’t worry too much about the exact details that need to be added to the homepage. Once you get the homepage setup, you can always go back to add your content later. It is easy to change and update.
1. The first step is to create the page that will be used as the homepage. In the left navigation of the WordPress admin panel, go to “Pages –> Add New”
2. Setup a page called “Homepage,” or anything else that you want. Finish adding any content that you want, and then click “Publish”
3. Now you can manage the page that is displayed on the first page of your website. Navigate to “Settings –> Reading” in the left column,
4. In the Reading Settings page, you can find an option for “Front page displays.” Choose the option for “A static page,” and select the page you just created in the “Front page:” drop-down box.
5. Make sure to “Save Changes” by clicking the button at the bottom of the page. Once the changes are saved, you have a static homepage on your website!
What’s the next step?
Congratulations! It feels good now that you understand how to publish content to your website!
You are probably excited to make a few more changes to your website, and you can find these details in the next step of my tutorial. Don’t worry though, because none of these additional changes are absolutely necessary. At this point, your site is live and available to be shown to the world!Next Step